Discover some of the highlands’ most dramatic scenery and their fascinating indigenous communities, with tonnes of opportunities for adrenaline-filled adventures and an exhilarating trip aboard the world-famous Devil’s Nose Train.
Don’t stress! Once you have booked your pass, you can change your dates to fit your itinerary. Once you start your trip, you’ll also be able to change departure dates. All changes are free and immediate (with 8 hours’ notice and subject to availability).
- Riobamba / Alausi market
- And many other short stops along the way!
- Delve into the amazing gold churches, perfect plazas and charming streets of Quito’s Old Town, the first UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Explore the stunning Cotopaxi National Park by foot, bike or horseback with a chance to climb one of the world’s highest active volcanoes.
- Take in the awesome sights and vibe of Quilotoa Lake, a brilliant turquoise, 400-metre deep caldera created from volcanic eruptions thousands of years ago.
- Stay in the enchanting valley of Baños on the borders of the Highlands and Amazon where rafting, hiking, canopying and hot springs await.
- • Explore authentic, off-the-beaten track markets and local culture in Riobamba and take various train rides, including the exhilarating Devil’s Nose route (which departs from the town of Alausi, about 2 hours’ south of Riobamba).
Recommended Full Itinerary
Remember, this itinerary is just our suggestion – you can hop on and hop off at any of our stops, extending your trip for as long as you like!.
Day 1: Quito to Baños
Departure days: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Starting July 1st: Every day except Sunday
|06:00-07:00||Depart from Quito from your selected pick-up point.|
|08:00||Stop for breakfast|
|09:30||Guidance at Cotopaxi National Park, home to one of the world’s highest active volcanoes.|
|12:00||Short visit to charming Pujili, a town famous for its dancers. Traditional lunch.|
|14:15||Guidance at Quilotoa. Explore the 3km-wide turquoise volcanic crater lake.|
|19:30-20:00||Arrive in Baños, home to steaming volcanoes, explosive waterfalls and hot thermal springs.|
FREE DAY to take a guided bike tour from La Casa del Arbol swing (selfie stick at the ready!) to the awesome Devil’s Cauldron waterfall.
FREE DAY to explore the subtropical town, rafting in jungle ravines, bungee jumping into the valley, spotting exotic birds, hiking in the foothills of the active Tungurahua volcano and finishing the day soaking in steaming hot springs.
Day 4: Baños to Riobamba
Departure Days: Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday
Point 1: Parque la basílica 6:40 am. View map
|06:30-07:00||Depart from Baños from your selected pick-up point.|
|09:30||15-minute stop at the mirror-like Colta lake and Balbanera church for photos.|
|10:00||Arrive in Riobamba.|
Bear in mind that, due to our bus schedules, you may need to add one extra day to our recommended itineraries at some stops before continuing your trip. It all depends on the day of the week. Please check our Timetables and Planning Guide.
If you want to do the Quilotoa loop, add three to four days to your itinerary.
In Riobamba, our first town stop depends on which day the market is. Tuesday: Riobamba hornado market Thursday: Guamote Saturday: Riobamba fair.